Why ECG is the best option for decontaminating your facilities from COVID-19?
Our Turn Key services can be especially helpful to ensure that the closure proceeds quickly and on schedule. During a move, there are many activities happening, many of which need to be coordinated to keep disruption to production to a minimum. We also work to make sure that a company’s recourses who are handling the move are not also distracted with the closure activities. When a company is moving out of a building, there are often also issues about a new tenant or owner moving in. At ECG we are aware of the costs and pressures that can arise if the facility is not vacated quickly. We work closely with the agencies to minimize the amount of time a facility must take to complete closure and receive a closure permit from regulatory agencies.
Environmental Construction Group can provide services required to decontaminate all or part of a facility to satisfy local and state requirements. This can include
• Washing down of equipment and/or facilities,
• Removal and disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous materials or debris.
• Assistance in determining the appropriate methods of decontamination or disposal. Considering regulatory requirements, economic issues, time factors, etc.
• Sampling areas to ensure that decontamination has occurred.
How can you decontaminate COVID-19 when an outbreak occurs in a commercial building? How can you decontaminate for a new virus we know so little about? Until further information is produced, the CDC has directed cruise ships, hospitals, schools, and businesses to rely on interim guidance for disinfection based on the past successful decontamination techniques used for previous strains of coronavirus. It would be best to consider worst-case scenarios and use the best-known decontamination practices, equipment, and personal protective equipment. Cutting corners could be risking infection.
Some of the questions to ask with any virus decontamination project are:
- What areas where infected people in?
- Who have they come in contact with, and what areas do those people occupy?
- What type of HVAC system is in the building?
- What is the design of the ductwork?
- What are the high traffic areas in the building?
- What are the main areas of ingress and egress?
- How quickly does the building need to be operational?
Bringing in the proper industry experts would be advised. These experts should include:
- An engineer who is familiar with the construction of the building, including the HVAC system,
- An HVAC company that follows the National Air Duct Association Standards (NADCA) and is familiar with decontaminating ductwork,
- An industrial Hygienist who is specialized in virus and bacteria decontamination to write the overall protocol and provide testing services,
- And a decontamination company that has experience with proper personal protective equipment (PPE) use and proper training including OSHA Disaster Site Worker and HAZWOPER 40 certificates.
HAZWOPER training is a requirement for all workers completing the decontamination. These companies should also be familiar working with multiple materially interested parties on commercial projects to facilitate efficient communication.
The method of cleaning, decontamination process, personal protection equipment, and other items will vary based on guidance from the CDC and the protocol developed by the Industrial Hygienist. However, the moving parts of the project should be generally completed in this order:
- Secure the property and set Hot, Warm, and Cold contamination zones.
- Turn off HVAC system and seal the ducting.
- Set equipment to control the ambient conditions.
- Thorough cleaning of the contaminated areas.
- Disinfecting of the contaminated areas.
- Cleaning of the HVAC and duct system.
- Testing of areas as they are cleared.
As you may realize at this point a team of experts is needed to succeed in this kind of project. Be sure to make the right call…
Your best call is to hire the experts whenever a project involving professional sterilization and disinfection. We are ECG, We are safety first.
This field definitely needs some expert hands and skill. So, have you decided on what type of project you need? Make sure you research on this for a while before coming up with a decision.
We pride ourselves in providing Demolition, abatement and Environmental Services you can depend on. (Concrete cutting, coring, green demolition, disinfection and sterilization cleaning services, asbestos abatement and more)Contact us to get started on your next project, Call us: 562-438-7999.